You may remember at the start of the year, Wakefield BID launched our WFD RAK Challenge to help reach out to everyone with kindness.
On the 20th of every month throughout 2020, try a random act of kindness.
During these testing times, try it a little more often, we all need kindness right now.
The Coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19) has taken a lot of us by surprise. Some people have described it as an episode of Black Mirror that they want to turn off, while others have said that they feel like the entire world is upside down.
One thing that we have seen all over the world is that kindness is prevailing in uncertain times. People are coming together to sing on balconies in Italy, others are setting up groups to help the elderly & vulnerable- like collecting groceries or calling them for a chat.
We have heard stories of people having virtual movie nights and creating choreographed dances over video chat, to share with the world.
Here are a few suggestions of how you could spread kindness, please get in touch if you have ideas and would like to add them to our list.
- Support a Wakefield Business, order online/leave a review
- If you have been furloughed, try and arrange a group chat with colleagues
- Call a friend that you haven’t spoken to for a while
- Tell a family member how much you love and appreciate them
- Make a cup of tea for someone you live with
- Arrange to have a cup of tea and virtual catch up with someone you know
- Help with a household chore at home
- Leave a Thank you note to your postman/delivery driver or another keyworker
- Arrange to watch a film at the same time as a friend and video call
- Tell someone you know that you are proud of them
- Become a volunteer
- Share social media posts of Wakefield Businesses to help keep them in our minds
- Send someone flowers
- Don't forget to be kind to yourself
- Can you sew or crochet? Help to make medical supplies (Visit for the love of scrubs or look for youtube tutorials for facemask extender etc)
- Tell someone you know why you are thankful for them
- Send a motivational text to a friend who is struggling
- Send someone you know a joke to cheer them up
- Send someone you know a picture of a cute animal
- Send an inspirational quote to a friend
- Send an interesting article to a friend
- Contact someone you haven’t seen in a while and arrange a phone catch up
- Spend time playing with your pet
- Reach out to call a friend, family member or neighbour who is experiencing loneliness or self-isolation
- Donate to a charity
- Lend your ear – call a colleague and ask how they’re finding the change in routine
- Give praise to your colleague for something they’ve done well
- Arrange to have a video lunch with a colleague
- Send an inspirational story of kindness people around the world are doing for others to someone you know
- Donate to food banks
- Offer to skill share with a friend via video call - you could teach guitar, dance etc.
- Offer support to vulnerable neighbours
- Offer to send someone a takeaway or a meal